Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How could blogging change the classroom?

For a while, I had thought about blogging as being more like an online journal - full of highly personal emotions and opinions - and something that I wasn't necessarily interested in. However, when I started getting interested in educational technology a couple of years ago, I started a blog to review some of the teaching resources and websites on the internet that I found useful. Of course, it was the summer, and I had loads of free time and high hopes for my educational technology blog. I always have grand plans for the summer! I made three posts in that first week, but alas - the summer snuck away from me and so did my blog! I had totally abandoned it and really hadn't thought about it until taking this course.

After reading some of the articles and examples from the Week 2 module of this course, I came to the realization that my class webpage (which is a new mandate for all teachers in our district), seems to be a blog, in a way. Its a place where we post information for parents (related arts schedules, spelling lists, important dates), and give a little snippet of what we will be working on in class this week, in the various subject areas. One thing that seems to be missing, if we are to call it a "blog", is the archiving of past posts underneath newer ones. The web-based software we are using doesn't support that format, so each page looks new from week to week. Its really too bad, because one of the key features of a blog is that you can follow it over time, and see the progression of thoughts from the writer. Without this, each page exists on its own, without reference to previous posts.

I could definitely see blogging as a way for teachers to more fully communicate the "goings on" of a classroom with parents and administrators. Teachers can provide a window into their classrooms, by showcasing student work, giving access to notes and homework, providing website suggestions, and letting parents know what their children are learning in school! Parents would probably really like this part, since when you ask most kids what they did or learned in school, they often reply, "Nothing." :-) Our administrators hope that, our current "weekly update" webpages in the elementary school, will be helpful and informative to the parents.  But if it was set up in more of a blog format, and giving others the opportunity to post comments, it might have a bit of a different feel. I chuckled when John said that using technologies, such as blogs, in our classrooms required "intestinal fortitude." In addition to the responsibility of teaching kids to use it appropriately and effectively, I'm not sure how the teachers in my building would react to opening up their website to comments from parents! To participate in the blogging world, you have to be open to feedback from others - regardless of whether it is positive or negative!

Now, I certainly hadn't thought about blogging as being something my 4th grade students would participate in. However, after reading the ISTE NETS and Common Core Standards, it is clear that students are going to be expected to use technology, which may include blogs, to collaborate with others and publish writing pieces, even at the elementary level.

This makes me think about the reading and writing notebooks that my students keep as part of our balanced literacy "workshop" model. So many of their reading notebook entries would make perfect blog posts.  My fourth graders are learning how to write thoughtful responses to their reading, noting their questions, predictions, thoughts, and feelings about text they have read. One of the lessons I taught this week was how our notebooks are the perfect place to respond to issues in our world -including the news. These types of  reading and writing response entries could certainly make their way into a student blog. Additionally, I do a "book clubs" unit every year where students meet in groups to discuss a book, and learn how to respond to other students' ideas, rather than just laying out their own. This type of "discussion" around literature also seems like it would lend itself well to a blog. Finally, and probably the easiest way of using a blog, would be to publish student writing pieces. In this way, students could give feedback to each other and parents could see their children's work in a new way.

Now, logistically, if I were to try these things, I would probably want to keep it as something that would stay within our class, and not something out for public view, until I got the hang of it.  It seems like a bit of a "scary" step to take - and one that would make your classroom very "transparent."  Now transparency isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if things aren't perfect, and mistakes are made, its much more obvious and glaring when it is public view. It's a big step to take, but I have a feeling that we will all be asked to take it, eventually!

4 comments:

  1. While not working in a school system, I can understand it being a very scary step to take and I think you're schools approach to creating a “weekly update page” is a great start. There are ways to approach this in a lab-type scenario where the children are not instantly let loose in the world, though those options aren't as widespread as I would like. Do you know how many parents actually look at your site? I asked a parent, that I would class at average computer literacy, how they would feel about having such a system and from her response I think it would be a great benefit for working parents. Not something they would have to check constantly, yet still be in the know.
    How would you deal with parent comments? I think parents can be over or under protective at times and definitely always have strong opinions about their child’s' education? Do you worry about this happening if your lesson plans were available for comment on?
    BTW. I love your background

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole

    I am glad to see that you are willing to explore the possibility of allowing your fourth grade students to experiment with blogging in class. I see your hesitancy in opening up blogging to parents but feel that allowing them a view into your classroom via technology would be a positive move in that parents who are unable to participate in the classroom forum due to employment or other reasons will have the opportunity to see what their children are doing in school and potentially could be helpful in assisting their children in the learning process. Yes, their may be negativity by some parents but the ultimate goal is that learning and teaching principles are at the forefront. I think that suggestions and opinions from parents should be taken into account but you still will make the decision of what is being taught in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I am very excited about using a class webpage or blog to give that opportunity for parents to see what is going on in our classroom- especially, as you mentioned, Faith, for parents who work and may not be able to make it into the classroom for special projects and other visits.

    Right now, I'm not sure how many parents are checking it, but pretty often I get emails from parents that were sent via the webpage. After we have our "Open School Night," I'm sure many more parents will be checking it, because I'll be talking about it! We usually have very involved parents in our district and 99% attendance at our "Open School Nights."

    I am always very open to parent feedback, however, I think in this situation, when it comes to "commenting" on my blog, I would prefer a direct line of communication between myself and the parent - either via email, phone call, handwritten note, or face-to-face - rather than an open forum for questions/comments. Part of me feels like maybe I'm being overly cynical or cautious, but I just feel like I'd be better able to manage the questions/questioning of my lessons, topics, procedures if I was to speak to a parent directly, rather than opening it up for all parents to see/comment on. If anyone did have a problem or questions about something, I could just see it having the potential to spiral if everyone was open to comment. I value the suggestions and opinions of parents, but would rather deal with them 1:1. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,

    Great thoughts. Your insights about the workshop model are terrific! Blogs would well position you, as a 4th grade teacher, to be prepared for the collaboration, as well as the production and distribution strands, of the CCSS. I just wanted to say: I think you are right to be nervous about parent comments. Comments are golden when responding to student writing, but I would not "publish" any comments on home-school connection posts. I might even might turn comments off altogether. Email is the better place for that kind of communication. As we all know, communication with parents is complicated, albeit important. Allowing a forum for parents to respond to each other, in addition to you, could go badly.

    That said, and this is something I intent to bring up next week, twitter is an AMAZING home school connection. My wife is a second grade teacher who uses twitter to communicate the day's events to parents. She does not follow anyone, but after a lesson, the class summarizes what was learned and they tweet. Parents get an update from their cubical and have something to talk about at dinner. It's nice.

    ReplyDelete